So this week some cool stuff happened. We had Zone Leader Council
which lasted...the whole entire day, literally. We woke up Friday
morning at 5:00 and then left at 6:00 to Eugene got there at 9:00 and
started our zlc then we had a truly amazing meeting with lunch in
between and then we hiked spencers butte. At the top we held up a
banner that said exact obedience and then we signed it. It was kinda
like our own title of liberty. It was pretty sweet. Then we left
Eugene and got home at 10:45 pm just in time for bed. It felt really
weird. I realized it was the only day of my entire mission that I
didn't do any missionary work. I was really bummed. Well I guess i did
make a TON of phone calls on the way back home, but still I felt a
little worthless.
But we had a sweet week. The highlight was probably the exchange with
some Elders in Medford 3rd ward. I was with Elder Hales who is pretty
new to the mission. We had an amazing day.
So the other day there was a guy in the ward who bought a
refridgerator on craig's list. He then asked us to help him load it in
his truck. So we did. When we were about to leave we turned to the
previous owner of the fridge and said hey if you ever need anything
else moved just give us a call. We then gave her a card with our phone
number on it. Well I have given out a lot of cards with our phone
number on it but very few times have I actually received a call back
from them. Well it just so happened that this same lady sold one of
her washing machines (apparantly she has bunch of random appliances
lying around) and the lady she sold it to had no way to load it. She
was a single mom and didn't have enough for a new washing machine. So
this lady gave her the card and we talked to her on the phone and we
arranged a time to help her move the washing machine. The washing
machine was quite heavy and at one point we accidently dropped it and
as a result I now have a weird burn thing on my arm (see picture). But
the good news is it doesn't hurt at all.
It is no coincidence that this was the same day that I was on
exchanges with Elder Hales because this lady happened to live in
Medford 3rd ward. So we talked to her about the Book of Mormon and she
seemed interested and she said they could come by whenever they want.
Hah! I love it.
The other cool thing that happened with Elder Hales is we found this
guy who wants to be baptized! He is the roommate of one of the less
active members. We taught him on the doorstep for a while and then
asked if we could come in. Then we taught him all about the Book of
Mormon and all kinds of good things. We then invited him to be
baptized. He said yes. We would have set a date with him except for
one small extremely annoying detail. He is a young single adult.
Therefore the place where he would fit in the best is in the young
single adult ward which is covered by the sisters. Dah! I miss being
in a ysa ward. Let me tell you it took a lot to make that phone call
to the sisters to give them that referral. I wanted to teach him so
bad. But... alas it is not my area. That's ok I know that he will be
baptized and everything will go well.
So we found 2 really solid people in other people's area! But we also
found some really solid people in our area too. The Smith's are
awesome still. We set a date with Brandon and his 9 year old Colin for
June 16th. Megan the wife is not ready yet. I'm not really sure if she
approves of us setting the date. In fact I'm pretty sure she doesn't.
So I think it will all work out.
So the other day I got a call from my last area the other day. The
conversation went something like this, "Hey there's someone here who
needs to talk to you." Then Whitney got on the line. "Hey elder
Johnson what are you doing on June 3rd?" I said, "Why whats happening
on that day?" "I'm getting baptized!!" That was crazy to hear! I don't
know if you guys remember Whitney but she is totally active going to
all the activies and stuff but utterly refused to be baptized. Well
some things happened and well....she just got baptized yesterday. I
wish I could have been there but that's ok.
Anyways everyone's getting mad at me for taking too long so I better
go. Love you
Elder Johnson