Monday, January 17, 2011

Cops, muddy trees, and slippery cars

Well this week was interesting. Unforunateley there isn't much to report. I went on my first exchange with another Elder. Elder Davis (who is the district leader) came here to Dallas and Elder Mauchley went to a place called Monmouth. So I don't really know this area that well yet and Elder Davis didn't know it at all so we were kinda lost for that entire day. We had to look at the map a lot and also look up names in the ward list and things such as that. Funny story though. Me and Elder Davis went to this member's house out in the boonies for dinner. Downtown it was just raining but out in the boonies it was snowing hard. The member's house was at the bottom of this hill. Well to cut to the chase we got stuck in the snow. We tried probably 20 times to drive up the hill but each time we would slowly start to slide back down. Finally we got the guts to ask the members for help. They had to pull us out. We spent so long trying to get out, we had to cancel our next appointment :( bummer.

Anyways we haven't had too much success this week as far as numbers go. We found to new investigators, Joe and his daughter Jesse. We gave them some Book(s) of Mormon(s) and Jesse said that her dad read it. So we are hopeful about that. We still haven't been able to make any contact with Joanne and J.J. Were gonna keep trying.

This week we did a service project at a members house. He had 4 trees that he needed to be planted in his back yard. And, typical to Oregon weather, it was raining the ENTIRE time. It was a mess! We got mud all over us. It was hard work too. The trees were really heavy. But you know what it was fun. I love working to help people. And I can't say I've always been like that. Being on a mission has helped me so much already. I feel like a new person. I feel energized and hopeful. If any of you are thinking about serving a mission DO IT! It will make the world just a little bit better and it will bless you individually. I can't believe I've already been out in the field longer than the MTC. Time is going by so fast. Elder Mauchley gets mad at me cuz I say that so much. He says that once you've been out for a long time it won't be like that anymore. But now I'm just blabbering. Ok one more funny story.

So me and Elder Mauchley always go to this park to make phone calls and fill and out paper work and such. We always park in this secluded parking spot surrounded by a fence and trees on either side. Well we were there one evening and all the sudden we see some head lights behind us, and this guy gets out and comes up to us. It was a cop. We roll down the window and ask, "are we not allowed to be here at night?" He's like no you can be there it's just your headlights are shining into this house. Whoops! We were shining our headlights right through these people's fense and into their home so they called the cops on us. The cop was like. Do you have your license. Elder Mauchley said yes. He reached down to grab it but.......he forgot it at home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AGHHH! We were freaked out. I quickly said, "I have my license." He took it and looked us up or whatever. Turns out he was a really nice guy and he didn't give us a ticket or anything but we were really scared cuz we would have got in a lot of trouble and would probably lose our driving priveledges.

Anyways, I hope these letters aren't too long. I remember that when some people send out mass letters like this, I always just skim them unless their short. I never thought I would be one to send out long letters. Welp I better get going. We have to go to Monmouth so we can play Settlers of Catan with the Elders over there. I love P-Day!