Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Jake got baptized

Jake got baptized!!! It only took Elder Peterson 2 tries. Haha! But now he is one of the few who can say he has been baptized twice.

So some crazy things happened this week. We went on exchanges with Eugene 1st ward and while we were in their area we found a bunch of new investigators for our singles ward. While we were on exchanges Elder Peterson called me and said I've got some bad news. Turns out someone from the DA went to Tomas and gave him 2 options: you can go to jail for 10 years, or you can work for us and rat out your friends. Not to go into too much detail, we were pretty sure he was not going to be baptized. Well to make a long story short Tomas had to be interviewed by someone in our Mission Presidency. So President Lowary interviewed him and he said he would have to check with Salt Lake. But then he said let's postpone the baptism one week. So he will still be baptized next week!!! Incredible. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

We also had Zone Leader Council this week. We did it a bit different this time. We did it individually so that was fun. We got to meet with President just us and the Willamette zone leaders. We also had Zone Conference this week which was stupendous. Really inspiring. Afterwards we had OEM idol. Which is American Idol for the Oregon Eugene Mission. That was pretty fun. We had to do it as a district. Well the night before we had no idea what we were going to sing. Then we thought of a song I knew how to play on the guitar. So we switched around the words of Banana Pancakes by Jack Johnson and made it missionary style and we sang it. It was fun.

Ok now for the really important news. Alex had been wanting to meet with missionaries for a long time but her mom wouldn't let her. Then finally she moved out of her mom's house and moved in with her sister. When she was moving she found a little mormon.org card with a phone number on the back. Not knowing where it even came from she texted that number and it came to us. She told us that she wanted to be baptized and to take the lessons. Well we met with her and it went great! We set a date with her for May 26th. She has a fiance that is Mormon that lives in Utah and they are getting married in June or July. Her mom is completely against the church and wants nothing to do with it. I am so amazed how many times our investigators will give up EVERYTHING for the gospel. Everything. Man it's a miracle.

Next week we have another baptism for Melissa. So we will have 2 next Sunday. It's going to be amazing. 2 back to back baptisms and then a phone call home for Mothers day! I don't think a missionary could ask for more.

Well that about does it for me. I wish I could correctly convey what it feels like to be a missionary. To witness miracles every day is...an amazing blessing of the Lord. I love this work, I love this Gospel, I love the Lord, and I love you!

Love Elder Johnson