Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Alexis' baptism, a bishop, 3 seventies, an apostle

Well I feel a little bit off. Because today is Tuesday. I always feel a little weird e-mailing on Tuesday rather than Monday. The reason why I'm e-mailing on Tues is because we are going to the temple today. On the day you go to the temple you must also have your p-day. So we're excited to go the temple. It will be Elder Thompson's first time going on his whole mission.

Alexis' baptism was an exciting success. I wish I could attach a picture but I forgot to bring the cord. The only thing that is pretty sad is that she moved to California on Saturday :( It was hard to baptize her and just leave. But we got in contact with the Bishop down there and he is on board to keep her active.

The other big news this week is we had a mission tour by a member of the seventy, Elder Snow. He was awesome. He came and helped us learn. One huge thing I learned from him was when he said, "disciples of Christ are always in the minority." We are always going to be less, but we know it is true. He also talked about how there are 4 phases of the Holy Ghost. Comforter, Testifier, Revelator, and Sanctifier. It was awesome

Then on Saturday for the first time in the history of the Oregon Eugene Mission (ok maybe not, but at least since I've been here) the ENTIRE mission gathered together. The reason why is because there was another mission conference in the same week to see an Apostle, the presiding Bishop, the president of the Seventy, and another seventy member. Besides general conference I have never been in the presence of such amazing men. We didn't get to find out who the Apostle was til a few days before. It was.....Neil L. Andersen. What a treat for me having met him in person before. It kinda brought things full circle. For those of you who might not know my mom introduced me to Elder Andersen right after Kirsten's graduation at BYUI. He told me to write him a letter telling him where I went on my mission. That was back when I had no intention of going on a mission. But eventually his prophesy was fulfilled and I wrote him a letter telling him I was going to the Oregon Eugene Mission. While in Newport he wrote me back and left a cool talk in it as well. Then being able to see him again on Saturday. It was just an amazing miracle. The thing that he said that hit me the hardest was when he said, "When you don't know what to teach, teach of Christ." It was a big eye opener because at many times in my mission I have just been at a loss for what to say. Yesterday such a moment occurred. We went to visit a returning less active. And we sat down not really knowing what to say. He said...do you guys have a message? My mind immediately went to this quote and I knew what to say. We read Alma 7:11-13 and we testified of Jesus Christ. I love it.

As far as our investigators go Joe and April (alexis' mom and step dad) are still on the forefront. The miracle of the week for them is that the fellowshipper for April suggested that we all fast for her to quit smoking. So on Friday we did. We talked to her again at church on Sunday and she said on Friday she had a huge urge to smoke. Then she thought of all the people that were fasting for her. Then she said in her heart, "I can't smoke, I would let everyone down." She hasn't smoked a single ciggarette since then. MIRACLE! Joe is still trying to gain a firm desire to quit. I know he will come shortly after and then all that needs to happen is for them to be married.

Alright I am swiftly running out of time. But I tell you all it is great to call you my friends and family. Thank you all for your support.

Love Elder Johnson