Monday, September 24, 2012

Salem 5th

So all the trainers gathered in Eugene last Monday. There was 20 of us in all. We all gathered to listen to President and learn how to be a better trainer. I was totally unprepared and forgot my suit coat. Let me tell you I've done some pretty humiliating things in my life but being the only one in a room of 25 people without a suit....man I was embarrassed. My great friend and previous companion Elder Peterson, who is now serving as the assistant, came to my rescue and grabbed my suit coat for me.

But then the next day the new missionaries came in. It is a very dramatic event to meet them all. One of them, Elder Gabbitas, is related to me through Bruce and Katrina. We were all trying hard not to think, who of all these new missionaries is going to be my next companion. Then President began the process of interviewing each of the new missionaries one by one. When he finished we all gathered together and he called on the trainers one by one. Eventually he called me, "Elder Johnson! Elder Johnson has just been released as a zone leader. Elder Johnson what area are you serving in?" I told him Salem 5th. He said, "Do you know anything about that area?" I told him no. He said Why. I said cuz I've never been there before. Then he said well you are going to have a great time there with.......Elder Phair! And that was it. My new comp (pronounced "fair").

Everything that happened after that is kind of a blur. I remember getting our luggage and putting it on a van. Then we drove up to Salem and just remember LOADING Elder Phair with info about missionary work. He eventually had to tell me, "Elder I'm super tired and I'm never gonna remember any of this stuff." Alright Phair enough. Haha.

We got to the transfer spot in Salem and no one was there to pick us up so we had to stuff all our luggage into a mini van with the zone leaders (which happens to be Elder Hackett and Elder Thomas [who's my son] who were two of my previous companions.) Then we got to our apartment. We got our stuff in it really quick. Then we gave ourselves a tour of our new house. We quickly discovered that we had NO food and that we didn't have enough chairs. After our tour I sat on my suitcase and he sat our only chair and we commenced our first daily planning session.

The next day during our companionship study we studied hard and prayed hard. By the end we were filled with the spirit. We set the goal to invite someone to be baptized that day. Even if they didn't say yes just someone, anyone, that we could invite to be baptized. We went throughout our day and had some good success but we only had one thing actually planned on our scheduled. That was to meet the Elders quorom president Brother Moulton. So me went by and met their family. We shared a message about the Restoration and asked them if they knew anyone we could teach. Sister Moulton said, Savannah. It was their son's nonmember girlfriend. She said, "she told me she wants to learn how to become mormon. In fact lets go there right now." So we did. We went by and it turns out that she did want to become Mormon. So the Lord in his mercy allowed us the chance to invite someone to be baptized. And she accepted. It was a miracle. We called president and told him about it. She ended up coming to church yesterday and we have another appointment tonight.

Another really cool miracle we saw was we had dinner with the Skeltons. We asked if they knew anyone we could teach. Brother Skelton said, "ya know there is a name of a less active guy in the ward that keeps coming to my mind. Why don't you try to stop by. His name is Bradley." So we looked it up in our ward list. In our ward list it said DNC which means Do not contact. We probably wouldn't have stopped by. But we did because Brother Skelton told us to. And he was really pleasent and we set up a return appointment with him.

3 things that I love:

I love being on bike! This is quite contrary from what I thought I would think about bikes. But when you ride bikes you have the chance to talk to everyone as you ride by. This allows you to talk to way more people and as such have more success. Then you also can get better exercise. And you are seen more. We have been honked at by members more than my whole life.

I love Salem 5th ward. This ward is amazing. They have a little plaque on the pulpit that says "please mention missionary work in your prayer." So all the prayers were geared toward missionary work. Then all the classes were geared toward missionary work too. We had a random investigator show up at church named Cory. AND we had 2 members ask us for a Book of Mormon to give to their friends......this ward is great.

I love Elder Phair. He is the most sincere and humble missionary in the world.....like literally. He is catching on so quick. Whenever he talks I just want to stop and listen to him. He is a little soft spoken but it makes it more meaningful when he teaches. He says things quitely and simply. He is fantastic.

I'm so excited for this transfer we will have a lot of success. Love you all with all my heart

Love Elder Johnson