Sunday, October 9, 2011

General Conference is the best

I love General conference. I remember back to my pre-mission times and sitting through conference was a burden. But now (after going through the MTC where all you do all day is sit and listen) I can't believe it's already over. I learned so much this year from General Conference. I don't know about you guys but....well sometimes when a seventy gets up to talk, my mind tends to wander a bit and then I try to pay attention to the apostles. Well this year I tried really hard to pay attention to the seventies too and wow. I learned so much. I especially loved Matthew O. Richardson's and Tad R. Callister's. Anyways truly an awesome conference.

So we had 3 people set to be baptized this coming Sunday and unfortunately only one will take place, Susie. This family is the most amazing family ever. I want to say they are my favorite on my mission but then I think of all my other recent converts and I know there is just no way I can play favorites. It all started with Brandon who is Susie's son. We started teaching them both and Brandon was all for baptism and his mother was not quite so sure. Then came the very hard decision. We had to decide whether to baptize Brandon without his mother or wait til Susie felt comfortable to be baptized so we could do the baptism together. Well we decided that we had better baptize Brandon first. Well I'm so glad that we did because after Susie saw Brandon's baptism and felt the spirit there she immediately said she wanted to be baptized. It was amazing. I'm really excited for her this Sunday. I'm sad I won't be able to be there for Alyse's wedding but at least I get to see Susie's baptism. Good luck and congrats Alyse!

We have been doing some work in Waldport too. The Jagel family is probably the most awesome news. While driving into Corvallis a week ago, me and Elder Thompson were talking about how in Joseph Smith times people would search out and find the missionaries. We were asking why doesn't that happen in these days? Well that night we received a call from the Branch President in Waldport. He said that a part member family had recently moved in and they requested a visit from us! Well miracles still happen in modern times that is for sure.

Another example of miracles happened just yesterday. In between conference sessions me and Elder Thompson went out to try and talk to a potential investigator. After we talked to her I got a feeling like I have never had before. I stopped abruptly and turned to Elder Thompson and said, "I feel like there is someone in our vicinity that is ready to be taught." We walked around a little bit. I felt like Nephi how he was led by the spirit not knowing beforehand where to go. We both went straight to a door and knocked. A woman answered the door and we taught her about the restoration of the Gospel. We gave her a pamphlet and commited her to pray to know if it was true and we set up a return appointment for tomorrow. I walked away just amazed. I'm finding out that the more faith you have in promptings the more you see the hand of the Lord in your life. It really got me pumped.

Anyways gotta go but thank you guys once again for all the letters.

Love
Elder Johnson

P.S. Happy Birthday Caitlyn, Bryant, and Caleb!!