Monday, December 12, 2011

week 52

Well the other day was my year mark. Quite honestly I didn't even remember it. I remembered it a few days before and then I remembered it yesterday. I can't believe I have already been out for a year. I....feel kinda sad that my mission is already half way through. I truly love this work and I would rather be nowhere else in the world. I know how cliche that may sound but I can assure it is quite true. Anyways I now have a renewed determination to work incredibly hard this next year. Wow! One year ago from today I was writing my first letter to you. Man I didn't have any idea what I was doing! It is amazing to see the growth that has taken place within me. My testimony has grown immensely I feel like Enos when he said my faith began to be unshaken in the Lord. My ability to love people has grown. I feel like I can express myself better, I'm a better teacher. I know the gospel and the scriptures better. I have learned how to yawn with my mouth closed (so I don't offend people when they talk on and on:). I have learned how to live with another person by your side 24/7. I have learned how to laugh at myself when I make a mistake and try hard to do better. I have learned the importance of obedience. I have learned how to be an effective leader and how to add up numbers. I look at how far I've come and I am utterly astounded. But then I look at how much farther I have to go. Wow. I am not anywhere close. But I have learned that the atonement of Christ can make up for what you lack and that if you do all you can the grace of Christ is sufficient. I have learned that I cannot be perfect in this life but that I must do everything I can to grow and become better. I was really touched by this mormon message on lds.org called men's hearts shall fail them with Russel m. Nelson. You guys should check it out it really taught me.

So this week was really good. We are seeing so much success in our area right now. We are still working with Jonathon and he still wants to be baptized by his dad in Alaska. Ethan moved away to Portland :( But we got a ton of new investigators this week. In fact it was crazy! A bunch of non-members just showed up at church on Sunday and we talked to them and they became new investigators.

The first is Carl. He was a referral from some missionaries. He seems pretty solid and I think he wants to be baptized. We will meet with him again this week. The second is Josh. He is a friend of one of the members who just  invited him to church. We talked to him and he was down to meet this week as well. He was awesome. He was participating in class and told about his conversion to Christianity. Afterwards I talked to him and right as I was leaving he said, "I think I want to join the church, but am I still allowed to drink energy drinks?" I jumped for joy spiritually. Then I replied, "yes you can drink energy drinks." The other was Tony also a friend of a members. He said he wants to go to Australia and make a church there. Hmm. Anyways it was a wonderful day at church.

So I don't know if you guys heard about the missionaries in Texas who died. But President Young wanted us to have a day of sacrifice for those missionaries. So this Saturday we had a day of sacrifice which means we sacrificed our lunch hour to the Lord. We fasted as a mission breakfast and lunch and we worked during our lunch hour. I was on exchanges with another Elder but we saw amazing miracles. We found 3 families who set up return appointments. We also found three new investigators. Back in my area they had very similar success. It is amazing how the Lord responds to people who fast.

We also had combined District meeting this last week. Which means me and Elder Hackett had to teach again. It was quite fun. We had a good time and felt pretty good about it. Half way through the meeting President walked in. That was extremely nerve racking. That doesn't happen very much. In fact that is the second time that has happened in my whole mission. But it all worked out good.

Well my time runs short I love you all dearly and thank you dearly for your continued support and comfort!

Love Elder Johnson