Monday, January 9, 2012

Weeks like this make me happy

Ok this has got to be one of the greatest weeks of my mission. There was so much good done. So last Sunday Johnathon got baptized. During the talk that his friend gave he started crying. Then I got the amazing opportunity to baptize him. Then we sang the closing song I am a child of God and he was bawling. He knows that God loves him now. Incredible.

Then on Wednesday we got a media referral. He lived in this apartment complex. So we went to his house and dropped off the Book of Mormon he ordered and we felt pretty happy about that. Ya know we could have left right there and we would have been completely satisfied with the work we had done there. But there was a pulling sensation inside us that urged us to knock on the door right next door. So we knocked. A man named Ben opened the door. We gave our initial approach. He was very interested. He let us in. He is from China and has no Christian background whatsoever. We taught him the very basics Jesus Christ, God, and prayer. He knelt down with us and said a prayer. Afterwards we asked him how he felt. He said he felt better. We invited him to be baptized on Jan 29th and he accepted. We could have never knocked on that door and still felt like a successful missionary but because we gave heed to the impressions in our hearts we have the blessed opportunity to literally change someone's life! That is why I'm on a mission! I learned from this experience that Heavenly Father gives us opportunities to follow his spirit. Sometimes they lead to something amazing sometimes they lead to nothing in particular. But every time we get an impression we need to give heed to it.

On Friday we found out that Elder Hackett is leaving to go to Medford :(  I will be getting a new companion named Elder Petersen. He has never been a zone leader before so we will learn together how to do the job. Our zone is really seeing a lot of success these last couple of months we're really changing people's lives. We have a lot of changes that are taking place in our zone and I really think it will be good. Some good news is that Elder Thomas my boy that I trained will be coming to our zone! I almost fell out of my seat when I heard that. I love that guy.

So we've started teaching a girl named Cindy. She's a Jehovah Witness...well that's what she grew up as. She doesn't know if she still believes everything about them. She's actually meeting with Jehovah Witness missionaries too. So......it's on! Haha just kidding but seriously. She's probably going to be baptized soon.

Elder Kearon of the Seventy came this last week and we got to meet with him in several different meetings it was amazing. He's the one that gave the general conference talk with the scorpion story. He actually came to our sacrament meeting. It was crazy when he got up to speak he started talking about the missionaries and then he said "so help out your missionaries in your ward." And then looking directly at me then he said, "They too have gone through punishing afflictions."

Oh yeah and another amazing thing that happened this week is during sacrament meeting somebody came up to us and whispered somebody in the back wants to talk to you. We looked at each other and smiled. We went to the back and we met a guy named Kevin. He was down in California and he took lessons from Elders there and we was set to be baptized but he moved. So.....now we will baptize him!!! Crazy how stuff like that happens.

Well this week has been spectacular I love missionary work with all my heart might mind and strength. And I love you all too! Thanks for your your amazing Christmas presents and awesome cards and letters.

Love Elder Johnson